Death of attack victim sparks tension - The Hindu
Simmering Dispute Sparks Clash, 8 Held - The New Indian Express
After SC/ST cell's demand, GU to fill vacancies as per roster system - The Indian Express
Mayawati deploys all senior leaders to oversee 70 constituencies - The Indian Express
Death of attack victim sparks tension
Tension prevailed at Kurayur near Kalligudi in Madurai district after one of the three victims, who were stoned in their sleep on Friday night, succumbed on Sunday afternoon.
A heavy posse of police was deployed at the village to prevent any untoward incident.
R. Vellai (50), a Dalit, who had sustained head injury in the attack, died at the Government Rajaji Hospital (GRH). Based on a complaint lodged by Tiruvettai (83), who was also injured along with A. Chandrasekar (27) in the attack by an unidentified gang at around 11 p.m., the Kalligudi police had registered a case for attempt to murder and under the provisions of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
Four persons — K. Kanagarpandi (19), M. Pandi Karuppan, K. Pandikaruppan and a minor boy — were picked up by the police.
The police said that the accused, all caste Hindus, had randomly attacked with iron rods, clubs and stones those sleeping in the open auditorium in the village. The attack is suspected to be a revenge on an assault of a person belonging to their group during a cultural programme held in the village in November 2014.
The New Indian Express
Simmering Dispute Sparks Clash, 8 Held
By Express News Service
VILLUPURAM: Police have arrested eight persons and registered cases against 50 others for a clash between two communities on Saturday night.
Police said the clash was the fallout of a dispute during a hand-ball match in the same locality in December, when members of the Vanniyar community from Koonimedu village and Dalits from Ambedkar Nagar near Marakkanam attacked one another.
On Saturday evening, when Jagadeesh (20) of Koonimedu village went to Ambedkar Nagar, some people there picked up an argument with him over the month-old dispute and suddenly attacked him. On information, nearly 20 of Jagadeesh's relatives rushed to the spot and started attacking the other group. Soon, supporters of both the sides joined in the attack.
Unable to bring the situation under control, police resorted to lathicharge and dispersed the mob.
The Indian Express
After SC/ST cell's demand, GU to fill vacancies as per roster system
GU had earlier advertised for the posts in November 2013
with all vacancies meant for the open category.
Written by Syed Khalique Ahmed | Ahmedabad | Posted: January 19, 2015 3:51 am
After a demand from the SC/ST cell of the Gujarat University (GU), asking for the authorities to follow the roster system for filling up teaching and non-teaching post, the state's oldest varsity has been forced to reject all applications it received through a previous advertisement for 30 teaching posts in 18 departments. The university will now go for fresh applications.
GU had earlier advertised for the posts in November 2013 with all vacancies meant for the open category. This was strongly objected to by the SC/ST cell of GU, which threatened to take the matter to the court if the roster system – meant for filling up posts after inviting applications from categories including SCs and STs – was not followed.
After the matter reached the state government last week, Education minister Bhupendrasinh Chudasma called the SC/ST cell office bearers and university authorities to discuss the issue. He finally agreed with the SC/ST cell, which insisted that the best course would be to follow the roster system. The minister reportedly told university officials to follow the law in the matter.
Vice-Chancellor M N Patel said that the new order would lead to delay in filling up of the posts, as GU will advertise afresh for the concerned posts, with almost 25 to be reserved for SC/ST candidates.
"The previous applications received through November 2013 advertisements have been rejected," Patel said. When asked what steps the university would take if reserved category candidates were not found for the posts reserved for them, the V-C said the university would then go as per law.
According to sources, there are many vacancies in the state's grant-in-aid science colleges affiliated to GU. As per the roster system, all these posts are required to be filled up by SC/ST candidates. The sources added that colleges were not filling up these posts and had instead started self-financed classes for science courses by recruiting additional staff for which they don't have to follow the reservation policy. GU had permitted self-financed classes in January last year.
The Indian Express
Mayawati deploys all senior leaders to oversee 70 constituencies
Mayawati will address 14 rallies in Delhi before the polls.
Written by Ramendra Singh | Lucknow | Posted: January 19, 2015 3:42 am
In an all-out effort to reclaim the party's lost support base in the national capital, BSP chief Mayawati has deployed all senior party functionaries from Uttar Pradesh as coordinators for the Delhi Assembly elections scheduled to be held on February 7.
Mayawati herself has left for Delhi after celebrating her birthday in Lucknow on January 15, and is finalising the tickets for the 70 Assembly constituencies that the party plans to contest on its own. Sources said most candidates have been identified and the party is likely to announce the tickets on Monday.
This time, Mayawati is slated to address more rallies than she did in 2013. She is scheduled to address 14 rallies in Delhi from January 29 to February 4.
BSP general secretary and Leader of Opposition in UP Legislative Council, Naseemuddin Siddiqui, UP unit president Ram Achal Rajbhar, Rajya Sabha MP Munquad Ali, Orissa state in-charge Dharamvir Singh Ashok and other leaders have been given charge of assembly segments in each of the seven Lok Sabha constituencies of Delhi.
The BSP, which had won two seats in Delhi in the 2008 Assembly elections and polled over 14 per cent votes, could fetch only 5.35 per cent votes in the 2013 state elections. It could not win any seats in 2013 as most of its supporters sided with the Aam Aadmi Party.
Mayawati has tried to counter the AAP by claiming that the party is not good for Dalits and OBCs as AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal does not support reservation.
The party is also trying to rectify mistakes it made in the 2013 polls. It has re-inducted Surendra Kumar, who had won from Gokalpur in 2008 but contested as an independent in 2013 after being denied a ticket by BSP. Kumar had lost to BJP nominee by less than 2,000 votes while the BSP candidate had come fifth. Kumar is now set to contest from the same seat as BSP nominee, a party leader said. He added that BSP has approached another former MLA too, but he has refused to return to the party.
"All senior leaders have been given responsibility of overseeing the Assembly segments in one Lok Sabha constituency. We have been working hard for almost a year. All I can say is there will be surprising results this time," Ram Achal Rajbhar told The Indian Express over phone from Delhi.
News monitored by Girish Pant & AJEET
On behalf of
Dalits Media Watch Team
(An initiative of "Peoples Media Advocacy & Resource Centre-PMARC")
Pl visit on FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/DalitsMediaWatch